Museums & Archives Officer (Stockport Stories)
Scale 6 (£25,419 - £27,514)
Full time, 37 hours
Temporary, 2 years
Based primarily at Stockport Museum but will need to be able to travel to other museum & archive storage sites in the Borough. There will be opportunities for some home working.
Closing date: Friday 27th May 2022
Interview date: Tuesday 14th June 2022
Putting people at the heart of what we do - no matter what challenges we face is the basis of our core values: Stockport, team, ambition and respect.
These values originated from colleagues across the council and run through everything we do. Our employees are our greatest asset and we’re proud of the way we provide vital frontline services every day to our most vulnerable residents.
As part of our ambitious Stockroom development to create a universal learning and discovery space in the heart of Merseyway in Stockport Town Centre, we are launching the Stockport Stories project to develop engaging, accessible and inclusive content based on our museum and archive collections. Stockport Stories will showcase what’s great about our Borough and its people, both past and present, and will use a range of innovative and traditional solutions to connect with the many different audiences that are expected to use the space.
The holder of this post will be responsible for working with a range of people within and outside the Council to lead the development of the first phase of Stockport Stories and to create a legacy for future Stockroom content.
We are looking for a creative individual who can work on their own initiative to move this exciting project forward and has:
• Experience of creating new museum or archive provision, ideally in non-traditional settings.
• Appropriate professional background in museums and/or archives with particular understanding of collections care when creating displays.
• The ability to carry out research and write engaging material to interpret objects and documents for traditional and digital platforms
• Experience of engagement with different audiences and stakeholders to co-curate content
• The ability to work with technical partners to create digital content.
• The ability to supervise apprentices, trainees and volunteers.
The postholder will be expected to work as part of the wider Stockport Museums team and provide supervisory weekend cover (approximately 1 in 4) as part of a rota.
Please note that we have made a commitment to improve the employment opportunities for people with disabilities, care leavers and ex-military personnel. As part of the Guaranteed Assessment Scheme you will therefore be guaranteed an interview if you meet the essential job role criteria.
Stockport Council – Valuing Diversity